[HD] New Kitchen Musician Tunes for July - Cuckoo

To: hammered dulcimers <hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com>
Subject: [HD] New Kitchen Musician Tunes for July - Cuckoo
From: Maynard Johnson <mrjiplaw@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 11:48:58 -0400
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
I have put three new tunes up on the Kitchen Musician website:
http://www.kitchenmusician.net

Since the hot weather in July sometimes drives us cuckoo, there are three
different cuckoo tunes.

"The Cuckoo" is the minor key English/Appalachian (and probably Scots and Irish
as well) tune and song.
"Oh, The Cuckoo. She's a pretty bird.......But she never hollers "cuckoo", til
the Fourth Day of July."  That one, set in Aminor, with the long intro.  I have
included one verse, but there are others which you can find on the internet,
including some on YouTube.  There's even a folk/ethnic/rock version by the 70's
band "Kaleidoscope", with a slightly different and even longer intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ispDVBfLjkU

"The Cuckoo's Nest" is another widespread "cuckoo" tune/song, in D and D
mixolydian.  It can be played as a reel, or more slowly as a song.  You can
find various sets of lyrics on the internet.  Some of the sets of lyrics may be
soft core X rated, in which a "cuckoo's nest" is a metaphor for something else.

Lastly, there's "Nyth y Gwcw", the Welsh "Cuckoo's Nest", and a different tune
in a different mode, D minor, though the tunes may be distantly related.  "Nyth
y Gwcw" is pronounced something like "nith ee goocoo"...I think.  In addition
to the Dm setting, I included one in Am, for people who do not like F majors in
fast tunes.  (There are no B flats in the Dm version.)  Or you could alternate
between the two keys.

The sheet music is in PDF; the music is in MIDI.

Enjoy.

Maynard Johnson
Kitchen Musician Website
http://www.kitchenmusician.net/
Jink and Diddle School of Scottish Fiddling
http://www.kitchenmusician.net/jink/jink.html