[HD] Backing fiddlers on the HD: workshop in Shepherdstown, WV 1/13-1/14

To: hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com
Subject: [HD] Backing fiddlers on the HD: workshop in Shepherdstown, WV 1/13-1/14/2012
From: Kenkolodner@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 22:50:54 -0500 (EST)
Cc: updf@earthlink.net
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com

Hello hammered dulcimer players:

Just about my favorite thing to do on the hammered dulcimer is play
backup/accompaniment. I taught this class a few years ago as part of the  Upper
Potomac Fiddle Retreat. It was a lot of fun with lots of jamming with
fiddlers as well! Here is a description:

Upper Potomac Fiddle Retreat offers "Back up a Fiddle Tune on the  Hammered
Dulcimer"
Friday, January 13 -Sunday, January 15

Join some of our finest local fiddlers and special guests for a  weekend
featuring over 20 different workshops for fiddle, hammered dulcimer,  mandolin
and mixed instruments, and dance band classes in a variety of styles in
historic Shepherdstown, WV, on the campus of Shepherd University. Weekend's
staff includes Lisa Gutkin (Klezmer), Elke  Baker (Scottish, Cape Breton),
Cleek Schrey (Irish),  Amy Cann (English, New England), Joe Herrmann (Old Time
Fiddle), Ken Kolodner (Hammered  Dulcimer), and Paul Oorts (mandolin).
Friday night  features a showcase concert; Saturday night has a contra dance
with the  weekend's open band led by our instructors as well as jam sessions
nearby. For  information see _www.fiddleretreat.info _
(http://www.fiddleretreat.info/) or call Joanie Blanton (304)  263-2531 or
email
_updf@earthlink.net _ (mailto:updf@earthlink.net) .

Back up a Fiddle Tune on Hammered Dulcimer  will explore chord patterns,
back-up techniques and arranging tricks for backing  up fiddle tunes on the
hammered dulcimer working with a few popular old-time,  celtic and contra
dance melodies.

For more information please see the  web page at
_http://upmw.smad.us/fiddleretreat/_ (http://upmw.smad.us/fiddleretreat/)

Ken
_www.kenkolodner.com_ (http://www.kenkolodner.com/)
_www.sandbridgedulcimer.com_ (http://www.sandbridgedulcimer.com/)