Re: [HD] Ed Haley dulcimer hammers

To: hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org
Subject: Re: [HD] Ed Haley dulcimer hammers
From: ksanderses via Hdlist <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 16:30:29 -0600
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
--- Begin Message ---
To: hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org
Subject: Re: Ed Haley dulcimer hammers
From: ksanderses <ksanderses@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 22:30:23 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=aol.com; s=a2048; t=1580250626; bh=go4kjf8lWoE65UBTtgdOs4J2msXsmnAZfUZec/wGbaA=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:References:From:Subject; b=nS5rKZGbO+h2ERejoSzD7Qd9Cb6Y6OSdIs7JonkBG7QXpr783i0sl9mkCf3NrwH1TriJfPrOxLGPaVJv/5eeKFELP4BtZF3XKA3XhRvAWyjrUQkNu5YoROCRPsiWk+hlXr82rYhTJgBWeN6bQjkHadNjGKtGPYnr8g7DANvBJLijrgJ8SIvb5MElecmXc9RBiGYm/csgGEEqmsUSSvOnhXfQ6jQjBNJmryostZwHbNhq9hTTVzOwI/kAW7F0OxVTUeClIchmSytwA+59rwd2196fYWPKhGfzXO9zvPvuTtJrorzZmuD2bhb+qgdK3JRa0qeu9/vRr7t68TFYO16vWg==
Ken asked me to repost this so it can be seen as regular text and not in an attachment.  (Anyone know of an easy setting he can change to prevent this in future emails?)

Hi Peter:

Ed Haley (with the "y" on the end) was a legendary old-time fiddler. His renditions of fiddle tunes are copied by fiddlers everywhere. John Hartford did a whole recording of "Ed Haley" tunes. Perhaps that is where you got the "y"!

On the other hand, Ed Hale (No "y") indeed used to make both hammered dulcimers and hammers. Many players use Ed Hale's hammers. I use them! Super simple design but many players really like the balance. Ed ceased to make them. But Russell Cook has stepped in. He recently sent me 4 pairs. I wrote up a long review for Master Works. My conclusion is that Russell and his crew has done a super job of reproducing Ed's hammers. I believe they will be ready to sell them very shortly. I'll be speaking with Russell today hopefully.

And Peter and others, check out Ed Haley. A casual youtube and internet search will reveal plenty. He died in 1951 but his versions of fiddle tunes live on among countless fiddlers. He had a unique style and vast repertoire. My son and I recorded (on Swift House in 2017) an Ed Haley standard that is widely played today: Half Past Four.

Ken Kolodner
kenkolodner@aol.com
410-746-8387
Join "The Sandbridge Hammered Dulcimer Retreat" on Facebook
Join "The Baltimore Old Time Jam" on Facebook

--- End Message ---