Re: [HD] Billy Wilson

To: hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org
Subject: Re: [HD] Billy Wilson
From: Kenneth Kolodner via Hdlist <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2020 12:17:44 -0600
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
--- Begin Message ---
To: hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org
From: Kenneth Kolodner <kenkolodner@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 18:17:39 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=aol.com; s=a2048; t=1577902660; bh=vgBKiQKJFg4w5gcj/xA4WLKpvfs5XVwFNxY2p0cO/rY=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:References:From:Subject; b=LfDJVA6mrIchGZuhMjalEDBJ8aDDMBtBt6uMMD7Cs0V20qi7FQtk4JJR25EnJdEnn12gEvLGKqwe/fhNN+aXvavUral5rd+LWoXAHG3wa4EDfZ43xXL0uAjlCiifItKV426KV63anDhEJjboWU07dpB/9h0AwHqUoukkYbpWKtsxCWt5wg3qESgKXSmtFEVmDC3DnKO97d9Scejb5TgCJpxpS6klQs7Np7/HljF6MQmp3q2ABPRaLBOq3ne+3XdCc8eB0q0rt/vVQNkh/rb9BNDzvBwgg5w+ID0A++J4KEq9cK4XpIgqv5DiiRZQn27VUujFtxnYTCfeYs7bLwEMsA==
Just saw this! Vicki, I will email "my" version to you. More than you want to know, but I originally learned the tune on fiddle from Freyda Epstein probably 35 years ago. Freyda was in Trapezoid and an excellent fiddler. Over the years, I have played it countless times and probably modified it a bit. It is very much a "festival" version. Little Billy Wilson is very commonly played in old-time circles today - as a three part time. I believe the "source" was a two-part tune ("Old Bill Wilson" or just "Billy Wilson"). In the late 1960's a fiddler added or combined somehow another part and that became the common version. This is a similar history to Lost Indian and a few other three part tunes that were originally two part tunes.  It is interesting how tunes and versions evolve - that traditional music is a living thing!

Ken Kolodner
kenkolodner@aol.com
www.kenandbrad.com
www.sandbridgedulcimer.com
www.bmoreoldtime.com
410-746-8387
Join "The Sandbridge Hammered Dulcimer Retreat" on Facebook
Join "The Baltimore Old Time Jam" on Facebook