[HD] Mystery of Modes in the Boston Area June 8-10, 2018

To: Karen Ashbrook <mail@karenashbrook.com>
Subject: [HD] Mystery of Modes in the Boston Area June 8-10, 2018
From: Karen Ashbrook <mail@karenashbrook.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 22:10:07 -0500
Cc: MHTP@yahoogroups.com, Hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org, Mary Stevens <harpforhealing@gmail.com>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:reply-to:sender:from:date:message-id:subject:to:cc; bh=/H2G872/dHjd8kcpFE+R8HNzywLubX0U2FUa/bz9QGs=; b=EVE8URhU/Y3XvhJnK1xh+DEINUtEhnzJ9LYWu/P5ZiIsEba35/CZhQ2TBpGtf3o5fF +KWP3QwNGWG0XY0aorZgJlwocZHMW5wXS8lizSmBgTe4Wx/E/dQnLvaZcqiuva9oFn2a oSoZWlMBOEIXjoYY2itAi9+YRFGgE+Cws9QAmsxy+1Yxt8xEX8p7qb/AjQzPOBx9pkFD tIMJtjEZlomqPDOSYKlVC3QFA/+yLL+cjxUcYJCZILIlctWG8OiZiPBTAlgrWLmkuNvd /NeD2L9Lhx0aJIvqWNVMHRMuv8gr/UFj5TmKov5FF/KTXdcDUnLBUPX5lBIdZMrwziVS uL4A==
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
The Mystery of Modes Workshop will be in 2 cities in 2018:
🌸Auberndale, MA (Boston area) June 8-10 (residential and commuters -- Friday night through Sunday midday)

🌸 Irving, TX (Dallas/Ft Worth area ) early November, 2018 (details to be posted in January. This will be a 2 day commuter workshop.)

This workshop will focus on really understanding the difference in sound and chord progressions between modes, how to take a tune and use it to transition into another mode, and improvising off the chordal structures of the different modes, plus a few good pentatonic scales and and use of a lovely  ostinato bass.  Mixolydian and Dorian modes (and comparing them to major and minor) will be the main focus, but we will also explore  Lydian and Phrygian too.
This workshop will:
• help Celtic and Old-timey musicians understand the scales and chords used in traditional music
•give the musical foundations needed for aspiring therapeutic musicians
•further enhance the musical tools for certified therapeutic musicians

The workshop is geared to hammered dulcimer and harp, but other instruments are welcome and will both enjoy and benefit.  The workshop offers 10 CEUs for therapeutic musicians for a small additional fee.

Schedule, cost and other details for the Boston workshop can be found at  https://www.karenashbrook.com/lessons/mystery_ma.html
There is a $50 savings if registered by March 1st!

Feel free to contact me with questions!
Please post and share this with anyone who might be interested.
Thank you!
Karen Ashbrook, CMP

We had an amazing weekend in Downers Grove, IL in November.
17 students including 13 harpers, a singer, hammered dulcimers, flute, violin, and more attended!

Here is what participants have said about the Mystery of Modes Workshop:
"The weekend was a superb learning experience from a truly gifted teacher.  Karen's instructional style is wonderfully clear.  Without forcing the matter, she creates a natural community among the learners.  She has both the sensitivity and the ability to meet the needs of all participants.  When the event ended, from the finest professional musicians among us to those of us less seasoned but truly wanting to grow, we were eager to get home and keep at it.  Furthermore, we all had a memorable amount of fun!"       Steve Doughty - Greenville, SC

"This is the best workshop I've ever attended. ... Essential concepts and building blocks were presented in a variety of learning styles, providing a wealth of ideas and inspiration to carry forward!"                                                   Bill F.

"I felt confident enough at the end of the class to begin experimenting by taking tunes I already knew and experimenting with variations of modes to increase variety and interest in the playing of those old favorites."        Lori Y.

--
http://karenashbrook.com

Music is the mediation between the intellectual and sensual life.
--Beethoven