[HD] Fwd: Hdlist Digest, Vol 56, Issue 1

To: TablEdit@yahoogroups.com, Hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org
Subject: [HD] Fwd: Hdlist Digest, Vol 56, Issue 1
From: Karen Ashbrook <mail@karenashbrook.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 20:29:59 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:reply-to:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :message-id:subject:to; bh=yWa9i0y0TZA96cRxLh4LeVRv51e60EO+Kx4DcnEWOD0=; b=iXYADv0/X1tfTm/U/YuGSCq6a6IhQlr0YHQiaLl4pTpb5JOCPDtMwFGhKi5J6J5xwO S6vtoH2Nug2eOvLgcFtbOZ+8uaTJobTmyzMz4DSMRWxOcAj+xWKMuaKhROObzKvK6M5o 3/NMFlIcj1Uv6UkAWenNx/sSDSLsdSae3oFMTyyDa395cyHp+xbs8bb1z8vy7xJtycxv zB+7as6DW3YIntvkxCjC/ZRG/3Q3eerwZXOovnLgfteegoitEZne/q3YkHzdLFTWvKSV oRrCySDF0LkeVejbGHJz0nZQhPSksQexRgtEvehwIgbb0VtJGRwbJ9+Wu5GGKdUYEGyu tzIw==
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
My husband, Paul Oorts, used TablEdit for years and found it very useful in creating handouts for students.

As I look at the example of what you are designing for dulcimer, I find it confusing to comprehend.  It is reminiscent of early HD tab (of which I did a version long ago for a book) in numbering the courses.  That is probably decent for showing where to play a specific arrangement, and terrible for learning to play the dulcimer.

When someone is learning the dulcimer, the beauty is in the patterns because all keys on it have the same pattern.  Numbering the courses that way only show how to play something in one place.  Linda Lowe Thompson designed a tab that is based on patterns, that with small modifications can also indicate hammering.  Over the years, many of us have worked with our own adaptations of her version.

As a dulcimer teacher, I don't know if I would use your tab or not.   I wouldn't use it for instruction purposes (for the reasons I already stated), but I could see it would be useful to illustrate a complicated arrangement.
That's me anyway.
I think it's great that you are trying to work out something for the HDs.
Karen Ashbrook