Re: [HD] Announcing Mystery of Modes Workshop in the Chicago Area

To: Gmail <marchlb51@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [HD] Announcing Mystery of Modes Workshop in the Chicago Area
From: Karen Ashbrook <mail@karenashbrook.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 22:57:10 -0400
Cc: Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:reply-to:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :message-id:subject:to:cc; bh=AlhAQpYDmRtw6rlZVPcTg2Cc6Tld8OFVGBORbay7Yo8=; b=FK6a2r2if6OEbU+m89IMgE6ZtbllnGcqPArH01gq2l1qmHk7f52uWOZxpc6WU+Jt3H k1hItuwRJuQhza0Yv+5u6cxZp2BiybrbBS4jILEQBgbSUB9Ro4M3+tKyQxPOmbeguXKt GkdNbaJiQL9FRIvdHGXhKYAc76wlF2H8YYVxf1HlppLWo2XM/SyUY+bhbmb59EGMsk// k3OHXzi1mf0wGiFaWD4axCOhuQ7hHGUZ/rxMCb8pLtoYWA7slcZZD+Vo6/mJB5qQHQN3 9MztIA3GXcEqrcyrsr9JzS+OyEx/KiW3leVyP5GSGhebt3LirLEV3IHGMYQ0OO0e4ysG 6tPw==
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
You should check out the programs for therapeutic musicians (as opposed to "music therapists.")

There are 2 I know of that give certifications recognized by the National Standards Board for Therapeutic Musicians.
The Music for Healing and Transitions Program or mhtp.org, is what I did and I am now a Certified Music Practitioner.  They offer their program all over the country.  The website lists everything- cost, locations, curriculum, requirements, and more.  I loved how thorough it was.  All the role playing we did in class helped tremendously!

There is also a program you can do online called Harp for Healing.

The weekend workshop I am teaching will include many techniques useful for therapeutic music - but it is not designed to teach someone how to be a therapeutic musician.  I also include some techniques for how to change existing upbeat repertoire into soothing renditions more suitable for healing. The MHTP program covers much more necessary information, including how to play for specific conditions, hospital protocols,  self care, how to market your services, and more.

How wonderful that you are offering your music to hospice!  It is a sacred time of life and I know you will have many deeply meaningful experiences. It is an honor to be even a small part of someone's end journey.

Karen