Re: [HD] Two musical Christmas greetings

To: Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: Re: [HD] Two musical Christmas greetings
From: roguecello440@mac.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 17:13:38 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=mac.com; s=4d515a; t=1484604812; bh=h8I2Kpe3ITK2Ny2Js+QTbrW4QK8uth0Kzuzru16QFUY=; h=From:Content-type:MIME-version:Subject:Date:To:Message-id; b=CXQP3uu0ntSd/X2lEaxOdMfMkBUN6VqZ3M0byGGJgdpmyBmIUV3Wyc7wUoC3IwuGb gnBspnNzOzp72PKcucZIBvuWLonao2i3qP7jtOzD2d6df9zgR75cw4t4Dg2eywwPXa EBRgoRlYQqvVh01ZnR6YEme2lU4zMVrNgzXqT1VoxZg8k2BZKxsUzseR/wdvsRenoK ZwBqXX6/hKXQcZVlTwwXJHCzI/LaFYeBfMwcwL838BEe/Iko7fMYqW4sGSYaCd+5UO 5O73y4FYioaGX/eb6Jp3951nttTiYP+s5lnWRMzVXKcHAHGoBmsoY4iG3aJC0WB3SI eSsbdjZGHfcKA==
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Thanks, Dave.

Unfortunately, I came down with a nasty virus on December 24th, and still have laryngitis.  I just caught up to your links to Twelve Days today.

Here’s a link to one of my favorite Christmas songs - sung by the Beers Family.  The tune is an old Irish jig “Three Little Drummers”

There’s another version of “Twelve Days of Christmas” on the Kitchen Musician website http://www.kitchenmusician.net/pages/kmmusicalpha.html  under the title “Twelve Days”.  It’s from a 1790’s copybook kept by a man named Whittier Perkins.  the words are the same - except that it’s not a pear tree.  It’s just a tree.  But the tune is in A minor and totally different from the one sung today.  http://www.kitchenmusician.net/giftunes/twelvedays.gif

And if you like doing interesting arrangements of Christmas carols, there is also an 18th Century “God Rest Ye Marry, Gentlemen” on the KM website.  Except for the second and third verses, it is very much like the modern version, except the it did not have the repeated “Comfort and Joy” tag that the modern song has.  I’ve used it in sing alongs to sort of catch the audience when I stop after the first “comfort and joy”.   http://www.kitchenmusician.net/giftunes/godrestdunstan.gif

Maynard Johnson
Kitchen Musician Website