[HD] Flying with an HD

To: hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org
Subject: [HD] Flying with an HD
From: Karen Ashbrook <mail@karenashbrook.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2016 19:06:49 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:reply-to:sender:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=y1aZneniuI5pgsCm1ByFdhiNGEp+7Mc8w4PLhYvEylo=; b=eWT3Ru9QBt5w4TLuB9IfJVLnmfF/LO9pL+A7aYA4s4QyrVKSkYI6n6Hy/HM1iRqaTI e+rcLeJXHh7+kiVpwOR7LgUHKrMagymXn2pd3AAkOCed1/lBaPzaULg0xr6uLgQV1yTH Q1ChkTgBj3JRysMsYo+/ERRmBZwdB7LuanIYC6JsTdgAm2JTsB5zgxDll96gI8mMWc2q OQXtXzU7s/cnLRL+COc99xkPGrAn5VbYRIyYJ4SWoDk32sUxGKTSx6rsq1d6K0LhAwHO p2m3j5dLkpGXJOD+ViNcl8rhw3RprZ2X/CLRSTdSKXgzaX9PfzCsAp12IpZUjO+6FKDr v7vQ==
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Please forgive me if I repeat something someone else has already written!

An HD will not fit in an airplane seat, therefore buying an extra seat will not help you.  If you want to travel with a big instrument, you should probably ship it.  If you can put it in a bicycle case, you could put it through luggage (although you might have to pay for oversized.  It is worth making the box trapezoid, as they often don't understand how to properly measure it and will just let you put it through without the extra surcharge).   My Blanton compact is small enough I can fit it in the overhead of most decent sized planes.
When possible take direct flights and fly Southwest.  Southwest allows 2 free checked bags.  If you pay the little bit extra to have them pre-check you in, you will be in the first boarding group and they have big overheads.

Karen Ashbrook

Hi folks,

I have a couple gigs coming up where I?m going to fly with my hammered dulcimer. I heard from somewhere that you can just buy an extra ticket and put it in the seat next to you. Has anyone done this and does it need to be with a certain airline? Can you direct me to any resources?

Thank you,
Ted Yoder

--
http://karenashbrook.com

Music is the mediation between the intellectual and sensual life.
--Beethoven