[HD] house concerts

To: Hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org
Subject: [HD] house concerts
From: Karen Ashbrook <mail@karenashbrook.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 22:11:23 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:reply-to:sender:from:date:message-id:subject:to :content-type; bh=ghav3ul+LCTX9R8KpQBeuKmFb3okm0enhp0vQm5xc08=; b=kzK8OPIbBXY5un1mnvw5oMxF7Wl/iJWxT8AAnqee1Gpy0xMXep9B5krKV0d6NMZmxy 2hprfUPmPsq2+GVZXNsi+Qt0ET8zvnUB2wd0BywrwHH6epONWDOTTaQ36NkGpgtRZugZ kCd3dkQ14OJ74GOo60YvVmh9gLdDGkYIbT5tghPXZjXbaNTwgwfLi2VpRC9lZAGHhOeC jA8rZyRUiWdk3k3cFHHk3fo7FfgJ45Ly9FFNZPT9CexQ8xtOT5B7pBsHjbN1pThVMW2U 9xbfvtlIIJ3AdfjV7/F9VNg6UoC0EuJMKrURd8i8QB5491awvegLTmRNg1C2tQIKuHFl 0Auw==
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
I don't think I saw anyone list a really great resource-
They have wonderful suggestions and ideas for both hosting and touring with house concerts.
Suggested donation is the way to go.

At this point playing mostly as a duo, my husband and I find we usually make as much if not more money in a house concert than a bigger venue, CD sales tend to be as high and it is a lot less work and stress (no sound system for one thing). I've even done a couple of "help me get ready for a coming event" solo concerts in my own home where I didn't even suggest a price and raised a surprising amount of money. I appreciated the support and feedback, it helped me focus and practice and people liked being part of the artistic process.
They are a wonderful way to go, and I think they build community in a Âgrassroots way. People invite their friends and neighbors over. It is an intimate and direct experience with the artist. Everyone benefits :-)
Karen

--
http://karenashbrook.com

Music is the mediation between the intellectual and sensual life.
--Beethoven