Re: [HD] What tunes do you play in your area?

To: Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: Re: [HD] What tunes do you play in your area?
From: Barbara Gershman <bgershman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 14:44:54 -0700
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Hi Heli,
I think we met at a NM festival.  In Southern California we have multi-instrument jams as well as smaller hammered dulcimer practice groups.  The jam tune list on www.scdh.org is just a starting point but seems to help keep tunes going.  Itâs a mix of Celtic, old time, etc., and most are probably Trad. and found in common sources.

I just returned from the Evart Funfest as a first timer (on my bucket list!) and found it fascinating to hear regional favorites and yet some universal tunes.  Not everyone plays OâCarolan, but the 2 hour all instrument OâCarolan Jam with a great handout tune booklet was a highpoint for me, just to participate with the incredible blend of instruments.  The informal jams where a leader called out chords were also fun and let us newcomers join in even if we didnât know the tunes.

Itâs been interesting to read replies to this topic.
Happy playing.
Barbara Gershman