Re: [HD] What tunes do you play in your area?

To: hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org
Subject: Re: [HD] What tunes do you play in your area?
From: Martha Cather <martha@prrc.nmt.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 13:47:42 -0600
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
What fun - I never thought of trying Grateful Dead on the hammered dulcimer. Iâm learning Cassidy right now on my classical guitar, and play many other GD tunes on there, accordion, or piano. But not HD. Interesting!

I live in NM too, as does the lady who started this post, but I play with celtic fiddlers when I play HD, so our tune repertoire tends to be Chieftans/Bothy Band/Altan/Boys of the Lough of 1970âs and 1980s vintage recordings. We have a couple of people who come down from Albuquerque to play with us and our fiddler and guitarist often go up there to jam, but I am busy and lazy and never do.

Five favorites that have stuck with me forever (including spelling errors) - all were amongst the first tunes I learned on HD, and much as your first address or phone number as a kid - those early things seem to have staying power.

Morrisons/Cooleys
Star of Munster/Glass of Beer
Tommy Peoples/The Windmill/Fintan McManusâ
Butterfly/Garechs Wedding
Kitchen Girl/Sleep Soond in the Morning

Martha Cather