Re: [HD] Great Time at Evart!

To: Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: Re: [HD] Great Time at Evart!
From: Theresa <tgebauer@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 22:27:13 -0400
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
We camp at Evart for 10 days usually near other players who met about the same time in the dulcimer learning experience.  Some of us teach workshops now or volunteer time in other ways.  Our early arrival gives us several days to gather and jam.  Could happen any time of day and not all the best jams happen late at night.

Not all jams are large.  Some are quite small and specialized to a music style or type.  Time is spent sharing tunes that catch our ears.  Time is spent sharing a workshop with a player who has a teaching conflict.  Time is spent working on other instruments we may play.  This is the music family gathering I experience each year.

Not all players attend workshops.  It can be difficult to keep track of time.  I usually try to carry dulcimer to one or two looking for workshops that present a different playing style than my usual one.  Other workshops I may sit in to listen.  And this year I heard the last bit of the workshops that preceeded mine.  There are a lot of skilled instructors who share their time and talent.

This year I mixed it up a lot.  I attended two jams for the first time.  Different sizes and different levels.   Played many of the early tunes we all learn but I hardly ever play now.  Reunited with tunes I had not heard in a year.  Received a friendly scowl as I had not yet learned a waltz from two years prior.  I know, life gets busy.
Gave encouraging words to friends, received encouraging words from friends.  I am reminded I leave a bit of myself with others who hear a tune and think of me.  Just as I hear a tune and think of them.

Till next year, keep playing.
Theresa Gebauer

Sent from Samsung tablet