Re: [HD] adjustable scissor stand

To: Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: Re: [HD] adjustable scissor stand
From: Rob Richardson <cedriccicada@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 19:24:20 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:reply-to:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=1n53Xu8nsA1mtD8qll0zZF7/fUlaL8M4oJ8PukhEIWo=; b=O58AMZzqMTHqE1CP6rKzD2BMUXDu4L6VmxVmZAzoPiHgHU1IBjbwbydbnF3+MzmqVi LNsGAco2XJJT1JhT96jVxQ7167ovllUNqut8vl/7QpHvSAneJaO+d12A7HwH3CQCgPD2 SXkOZHnwOjWjNT87tDGVya85TYH6I/ZHZdk4aemMSyoxC9VADlfiX++ClLPx6Yd5+fbU 5SlmkzYcNZ3RqyNOF13qJrvjO3GUtiVoI9zMhffXSYBRDD+DgMk/eZLIa+f459oHo9z7 keylo+7Wg9tpEJIyi0CsPgWal/v6kTLOXtk80qpkt8d4678idznzy63VOrwxL36os7G/ VJrg==
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
I have a scissor stand.  I did two things to make it adjustable.
First, I cut off the strings holding the top pieces together, limiting
the amount the stand can open.  I replaced them with longer strings.
To make the stand wider and therefore hold my dulcimer lower, I just
tie knots further apart.  To make it narrower and hold my dulcimer
higher, I just time knots closer together.

Second, at one point I thought I wanted the stand higher than the
string would let me.  I got three pieces of scrap wood the same width
as the legs of the stand.  Then I drilled two holes through each of
the scraps and the stand, then I moved the scraps about half an inch,
and I drilled two more holes through the existing holes in the scraps
and new holes in the stand.  I repeated that a few times.  Bolts hold
the scraps at the desired position, raising the stand.

Ugly?  Yes, a bit, but it works.

(I took the extenders off a while ago, when I realized that my
dulcimer was too high and I was hunching my shoulders as I played.)

RobR