Re: [HD] music device

To: Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: Re: [HD] music device
From: Anita Baker Sherman via Hdlist <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
--- Begin Message ---
To: Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
From: Anita Baker Sherman <maplesoundsmusic@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 13:09:59 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1408133399; bh=h3+grqjn6/PCapJwtW+D6paZkiFolvhz0ZO9epmMfPI=; h=References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=uS7a54hTY7kED89NZi4QVxD+O89xZ3aEuAPyxGlTWFBZRlCFoJ79v1FZu/5aEe11qrXcA61E7LZxEX69aNcP1p7SCd+3C36Bp4bH6W/Csh5hTepdmx8tHML6ygNAb4VSD3kCqQF8Qm0uDOD2/u4CV4HSs29Vfpzo1ucr649GYQg=
I've had a Samsung Galaxy 10.2 Tablet WiFi for a year now and absolutely love it.  Also purchased Bluetooth AirTurn pedal.     Besides being less expensive than the ipad, the Samsung has stereo speakers and an external micro SD card.  So, you can set up separate libraries of tunes.  'Samsung tech support varies widely.  When I can get to site in SC, good support but others have been poor.  There has been a problem well documented on the 'Net of difficulty upgrading to the new Android system.  I still haven't been able to do it but have had no problems using the older OS.  The tablet is in a case and I can place it either on my music stand that attaches to the front of  my HD or a regular fee standing music stand.  The display is very clear so the small size isn't the problem I thought it would be but have to admit I would like the new 12" Samsung tablet.

The reasons I purchased the AirTurn instead the Circada pedals were because the AirTurn is American-made, has no moving parts and is quiet.  Have heard reports from multiple owners of the Circada that it is noisy.  The instruction manual is a bit sketchy but the tech support from Air Turn has been outstanding  I purchased it on Black Friday at Guitar Center so was able to get a competitive price.  I have found coordinating foot pedal, page turns to take some practice but that's probably due more to of my physical limitations.

There are fewer apps for the Android operating system but the 2 I use do what I need.  Mobile Sheets is what I use for tab and lead sheets.  It's very easy to import pdf files into it.  There are a few things I would like tweeked but an upgrade is about to come out so I will reserve comments until I see that.  Tech support for Mobile Sheets is great.  There is also a users forum.

The other app I use is SongBook for lyric chord sheets.The app will also show chords for guitar, uke, mandolin and multiple tuning for each.  Transposing is easy and the chords transpose at the same time.  Tech support is also great.  Andreas and I had an email discussion about adding mountain dulcimer chords.  He included a trial in the most recent beta version but it does not work and it probably will be too difficult to add.

Once you have the tablet you will find many other uses for it.  And, there are other useful apps out there like for tuning and identifying chords.  I've found the camera to be a valuable teaching tool.  I can record a student playing and play it back so it gives me a way to show the student what I'm discussing.

Anita