Re: [HD] Criteria for Choosing a Hammered Dulcimer

To: Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: Re: [HD] Criteria for Choosing a Hammered Dulcimer
From: Rob Richardson <cedriccicada@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 19:23:21 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:reply-to:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=2w0WeLknvjILagmN3lypVF3SN8qo6HgTLh6ApgLj1QI=; b=xV0SC9ZDWuURsad0uUNFPMkAruFJaB5tk6yDvTmSS5+g+2v7/XxxxknvPJvTRbUoTW JE7r2F0lTMVaKFRJRM+gYFTE0gCJ0sUHYPuDSO39lHMyx0ABTr3M5rEK8Z0uUkxKMF0E 1hu63RIU7ouJwbH4o3xALACCIR9QWec7Zu7Rm71mNPYLJ5492NAQehRlKkVlKyKdKJLF HJeDob8Jpm2KiNEdpFGT2bNKOHE80HNCUF7KAhlUu4yPREE8DmIemxIK4DzKnX840OAs fftwHHlIm/wevUyV7/px7Fz/TMtuV6aFbHfU+WJrgi4QeRrllBPg8l5NzewWNyDJkmZA qAdg==
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
To answer your original question:  I think my choice is going to have
to be based on both tone and sustain.  I might find a dulcimer with
wonderful tone, but if there's too much sustain, it's just not going
to sound too muddy to me.  That's exactly what happened when I played
my niece's Dusty Strings D650.  The tone was very good, but there was
so much sustain that I could not enjoy it.

When I played the David Lindsey Baby Grand next to my current Lindsey
Chromatic Spinet, it was obvious that the tone of the Baby Grand was
much better than the Spinet.  The Baby Grand had more sustain, but not
too much.  The notes flowed from one to the next, but they didn't last
long enough to make the tune sound muddy.  Its balance between tone
and sustain was excellent for me.

RobR