[HD] James Jones dulcimers (was Instruments available)

To: HD list <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: [HD] James Jones dulcimers (was Instruments available)
From: Sarah Garland <dsarahgarland@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:34:14 -0900
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=tJCbdu3z9mVvhXHb4nKuexdkDnJXcjkkJE6BBdz6mnE=; b=xhV1FrKjfjCMtr7aqBdG6hELZsHUj4m35wsnsWe260PBUDJC2us6GSaSr2zK/0sRFn J9EtxIxv7B6uvErNVhp/j+qnvkgkjewv9mm1KOSi8H13D4Fl63NuOkdQh6BJbAJGwdDr cdSFxcMM1Z7JVGW/3aQLGknOiAOfebj0ZJcQpSZ9ilk5hhNLcoRPT1PU9E1rG48ElF4u iA1y/vcFQtXO7pzYYF4x8RWjxhZhMwOn4aLahY2qV1M0CvT2oKmad83WhZy9nbkhC8QM cZa4fivOUX1Ef6XmJUNSu3dWAIAKKW9y7Ml3d8ZKXdhGikNVP+rFx6IQVd1osEJ2ambk GhJg==
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Hi Pat,

From my experience, I'd place James Jones dulcimers on the lower end of sustain, with more sustain than Rick Thum dulcimers but way less sustain than Dusty Strings and Masterworks. I don't have experience with Bill Spence dulcimers.  Another thing you should know about the James Jones dulcimers is that they are quieter than most other major brands.  If you're going to be amplified for performances or play unamplified in small groups that doesn't matter, but if you regularly play unamplified in really big, loud jams, you should get a Rick Thum. :)

I own both a James Jones 3/16/18/9 (7/8 inch string spacing, redwood soundboard & paduak bridges, built in 2002) and a James Jones 3/16/15/8 Travel Chromatic (same spacing & woods, build in 2007). The Travel model has been side-by-side with many more other dulcimers than it's larger cousin. The 3/16/15/8 has way less sustain than Dusty Strings instruments of all sizes and all the Masterworks I've heard. (Sorry; I don't know the models of the Masterworks.) I like it for contra dance music (i.e., fast) and rags. My larger James Jones has a little more sustain than the travel one.

I love my James Jone dulcimers. They suit me well, but obviously no one dulcimer is perfect for everyone. If you come to Alaska I'd be happy to let you play both. :)

Good luck in your dulcimer shopping! I hope you find the instrument that suits you perfectly.

Sarah

Message: 1