Re: [HD] Wacky instrument layout idea (no surprise from me, I suppose)

To: Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: Re: [HD] Wacky instrument layout idea (no surprise from me, I suppose)
From: Paul Goelz <pgoelz@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 16:10:57 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20121106; t=1384722661; bh=pDvNjFyLLyJ/g6Eb/LIhh/g6lR1sLnQCUT86lkH5hCk=; h=Received:Received:Date:To:From:Subject:Mime-Version:Content-Type; b=m5QBERuKPpB6u0moCtGJMy0khls+CUUCsKXXj7tIM7DxhwGzuEE39q06NpvfwshJ0 J1XWhQkMOGdcxJ3HkU+k8qvlemepuCfLbO6ekyc34tRv2xnUf4Es+gwFZ927OtglxC Y5zFJpR1NpGDCi+0pr1KVWxwpDKzFWFpfNnY2HnTccV5t9zJdrs5pttcr9H0gvVD+z iUpfkq/uCPxf8HIDloEqA5N2p9215BiBxyQGQnH/YQubfi9H0fQlf4lZioQ2pejgfp IFsjBT2PYOV6D6VJwdIEDbw3qEt1ckHtHap7sma/EhsKY8you53aH1gmdi6lYEVLYn gIQn9F5DqSoVw==
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>

I think that in order to play music, the player uses filters to make
an instrument workable. Some filters are built into an instrument at
the start, like a pentatonic xylophone, an autoharp, a mountain
dulcimer or a diatonic hammered dulcimer. Some instruments have minor
filters built in, like a piano having black keys for the non-C
chromatics. Some have less, like a guiltar. Violin? Other than the
open strings, not much to keep you out of trouble.

Interesting way of expressing it. I guess the idea is to employ the most APPROPRIATE filters to the instrument of choice. In your case, that might well be close to "zero". Although making the "target" (ie., the strings) bigger might help? I assume that is one reason it is possible to play larger reaches on the xylophone.

And on the theremin
in my living room, no help at all, just one continuous pitch range,
starting from about three feet away, to right up against the antenna,
a note range of about 5 octaves with no physical indication of where
you are. (It's impressive. If you heard me play, "amazing" would not
be the word.)

Wow, is that a vintage instrument or a modern one? I've always thought the Theremin (and the development path it took) was fascinating.

So, the more filters you have, the harder you have to work to circumvent them.

Again, unless they are APPROPRIATE filters. Perhaps you are on track to invent a totally new instrument? There have been precious few innovations in the last, what, 100 years? The piano keyboard is about as universal an instrument that I can think of but that doesn't make it easy to play.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
pgoelz@comcast.net