[HD] The Sandbridge Dance Tune Collection: Arrangements for the Hammered

To: Hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org
Subject: [HD] The Sandbridge Dance Tune Collection: Arrangements for the Hammered Dulcimer
From: Kenkolodner@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 02:01:34 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>

Hello everyone:

After years of developing an extensive library of arrangements for the hammered dulcimer, I am pleased to announce the release of the first of two companion books: The Sandbridge Dance Tune Collection: Arrangements of Reels, Jigs, Hornpipes, Polkas and Rags For the Hammered Dulcimer  (See The Sandbridge Dance Tune Collection or go to http://www.kenkolodner.com/the-sandbridge-dance-tune-collection.html ) Each book is 140 pages (published on Mel Bay.)

The first book in this two-book companion collection includes traditional & original dance tunes including reels, jigs, hornpipes, rags and polkas. The repertoire draws primarily from the traditional music of the U.S. (Old-Time), Quebec (French-Canadian), Ireland, Scotland and beyond. Each tune is presented as a simple melody with chord progression along with one or more detailed arrangements offering a wide range of levels of complexity. Backup and harmony parts are provided for many of the pieces. Included is a discussion of 20+ arranging ideas/techniques.

Each book is intended to be a resource for players of all levels.  The second book is to be released at the end of November and is called The Sandbridge Waltz and Air Collection: Arrangements for the Hammered Dulcimer.

Why âSandbridge?â Nine years ago, I launched a weeklong retreat in Sandbridge Beach, Virginia for hammered dulcimer players. I started âSandbridgeâ (see www.sandbridgedulcimer.com) to provide an intensive learning environment in a relaxed setting (on the ocean, great food provided prepared by a chef, dolphins, great people, pelicans, lots of music!)  Since its inception, Sandbridge has evolved into three weeklong workshops that draw 55 intermediate and advanced players from around the U.S. and beyond. This collection draws heavily from arrangements developed at Sandbridge and over the course of my 30-year career as a hammered dulcimer performer and instructor.

To order the book, call me at 410-746-8387 or click here on my website Order The Sandbridge Dance Tune Collection  (http://www.kenkolodner.com/the-sandbridge-dance-tune-collection.html)

  • Repertoire draws from Celtic, Old-Time, Quebecois, Shetland and Cape Breton Islands
  • Includes standards and many lessor known pieces
  • Includes basic tunes with chords and one or more arrangements for each tune
  • Arrangements cover a wide range of levels of complexity
  • Backup and harmony parts are provided for many of the pieces
  • Includes a discussion of over 20 arranging ideas/techniques
  • A lifetime resource for players of all levels
  • Tunes are selected from my repertoire of thousands of tunes

THE TUNES in âThe Sandbridge Dance Tune Collectionâ

  • Are You Sleeping Maggie (Scotland)
  • Beaumont Rag (U.S.)
  • Big Scioty (U.S.)
  • Bill Cheatham (U.S.)
  • Billy in the Lowground (U.S.)
  • Black Nag, The (England)
  • Carnaval (Quebec)
  • Cuckooâs Nest (U.S.)
  • Cumberland Gap (U.S.)
  • East Tenneessee Blues (U.S.)
  • Eaganâs Polka (Ireland)
  • Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss (U.S.)
  • Frenchieâs Reel (Ward Allen and Mel Lavigne, Canada)
  • Galway, The (Ireland)
  • Grub Springs (U.S.)
  • John Brownâs March (U.S.)
  • Johnny Cope (Scotland, U.S.)
  • Kitchen Girl (U.S.)
  • Lad OâBierneâs (Ireland)
  • Lonesome John (a.s.a. Clinch Mountain Backstep) (U.S.)
  • Missouri
  • North Carolina Breakdown (Arthur Smith, U.S.)
  • OâSullivanâs (Ireland)
  • Oklahoma Rooster, The (U.S.)
  • Old Favorite, The (Ireland)
  • Over the Waterfall (U.S.)
  • Reel du Nord (Quebec)
  • Reel St. Josephâs (Quebec)
  • Rights of Man (James Hill, Ireland)
  • Road to Banff, The (Scotland)
  • Roof for the Rain, A (Ken Kolodner, U.S.)
  • Roscoe (U.S.)
  • Sail Away Ladies (U.S.)
  • Saint Anneâs Reel (Quebec, US, Ireland)
  • Salmon Tails up The Water (Ireland)
  • Shenandoah Falls (U.S.)
  • Silver and Gold Two-Step (U.S./Canada)
  • Snow Drop (U.S.)
  • Swift House (Ken Kolodner, U.S.)
  • Tom Morrisonâs (Ireland)
  • Washingtonâs Hornpipe (The Stony Steps or Good for the Tongue) (England/Ireland)
  • Willafjord (Shetland)
  • Wrenâs Polka, The (Ireland)
  • Y.Z. Hamiltonâs Breakdown