Re: [HD] Songwriter or Finale & Noteworthy Composer

To: jon@jonweinberg.com, Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: Re: [HD] Songwriter or Finale & Noteworthy Composer
From: Kathie Hollandsworth <luraedythe@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 09:08:04 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=ixrevnVOH4IcAxm+7Gkbq0HDwaeI0AwpCpxtyTEA9tk=; b=bpZ47Jhf0+RZzAbArrVLiwjUaT40My5m6+z0UY/eC9IfmvSvm4CzwbfQuOEqzYDegt OuSkVtrzOAezln2OMBvE5uYt3qBKUj4/vvJnqH/MV/Syqe7RWWo4bE+gSSyoYgGVegya drzJCc0IFw6XzrOAZrEvx03F4yefUCgxN1QVAJAm+oyfo2tt7M4pe79v47+TKb1xMZZM 8yDxe9k2L/a2NMxUpSmtByjdeaxcU7cFkhcy7VwkmwvTAUnzLH/KLm2q8kseZc3bpBja HgyoOezO+6X2KeLWZfecwOBlC4DF+QAT7LMUSFIMnl4hMBcIkxgm+QvfUXb9saUgbJbQ 1I5Q==
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
I've had Finale for many years but stopped getting the expensive updates a while back.  For the last couple of years I have used MuseScore, the free program Jon mentions, and am pretty satisfied with it.  It has some things that work easier than Finale (like some drag and drop features) and some things that are aggravating, but I haven't spent loads of hours on it either.  It does everything I need to do for John's autoharp handouts and my hammered dulcimer handouts, and also my church handbell easy arrangements, etc., and I believe it would do lots more, I just don't need it to.  It seems to be UK-based because the default page size is A4 and some of the terms indicate that as well.  But I've been overall satisfied with it and it's free!!  It will import midi files that Finale generates, which then take a bit of work to clean up, but I have done that with some of my older Finale files.

Kathie