Re: [HD] Songwriter or Finale & Noteworthy Composer

To: Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: Re: [HD] Songwriter or Finale & Noteworthy Composer
From: Jon Weinberg <jon@JonWeinberg.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 09:02:55 -0400
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
I too am a long time user of Noteworthy Composer and am very happy with it for
all the same reasons as Mary.  It's PC only - no Mac verson...

There isn't much notation-wise it can't do although note entry is not as easy
as point-and-shoot.  Like most of this software it takes a little time
investment and reading the help manual to get the most out of it and learn the
little shortcuts that make it much easier to use for common things.  For
instance I set up template jig and reel files that have all the settings I
like.  For a new tune I only need to change the key signature (if different)
and the ending bar to/from a Master Repeat Close or not.

If I were doing it over these days I'd probably look into MuseScore which is
free and runs on both PCs and Macs.  I haven't had the time to learn it yet to
compare it to Noteworthy but on the surface is seem to have many of the same
capabilities.

Jon W

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 12:19:58 -0700 (PDT), Mary Richardson