Re: [HD] contact mics - and Pickup-the-World pickups

To: HDList <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: Re: [HD] contact mics - and Pickup-the-World pickups
From: Jon Weinberg <jon@JonWeinberg.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 21:31:25 -0400
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Hi Bea (and others) -

Another thing to try is lower the gain on your preamp.  That may be a mixed
blessing but it might help.

I too use Pickup-the-World pickups and they are wonderful if anyone is looking
into HD pickups - very transparent.

They require a preamp close to the pickup or they don't have enough gain to
drive anything.

I've been using them for years.  At first with a single pickup mounted on top
of the soundboard next to the bottom rail (between the treble and bass
bridges).  This setup with the preamp was very high gain and with hard
hammering and lots of sustain could sound distorted.

My new setup follows their mounting recommendations which eliminates this
problem:  bend the pickup and stick half on the soundboard and half on the
rail.  If you have handhold holes on the back of your instrument so that you
have access to the inside it's less obtrusive to mount the pickup(s) on the
inside of the instrument - just seal the unfinished wood surface with some glue
or urethane first or else the pickup will eventually come unstuck.

BTW I use one in my Gibson guitar which sounds much more natural than the
Fishman bridge pickup it came with (which sounds metallic).  At one point
everyone in the band I was in had a Pickup-the-World pickup in their instrument
(fiddle, guitar, mandolin, bass, HD) - no mics and we just sounded acoustic.
Good stuff.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Jon Weinberg