Re: [HD] Resonance of strings at the bridge

To: Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: Re: [HD] Resonance of strings at the bridge
From: Maynard Johnson <roguecello440@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 18:09:32 -0400
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+davelovelace=gmail.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Dave, I heard stories of implosion from other people.  At least one of them was from a mail order dulcimer kit that was a bit notorious for having incomprehensible instructions.  I think that kit maker is no longer in the business.

I learned my woodworking techniques from watching Tim The Tool Man Allen on "Tool Time", so I will never try building an HD.  Besides, the string tension of six D'Addario XLs on a guitar is a bit over 103 pounds…and that is just six strings. A fifth-tuned or octave bass HD will far exceed that.

A friend of ours had a slightly different disaster.  The pinblock joints on both sides separated, the pinblocks  twisted upwards and then broke free. This resulted in two pinblocks and a tangle of wire on top of the now-floating soundboard.