[HD] New Tunes for May

To: Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: [HD] New Tunes for May
From: Maynard Johnson <roguecello440@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 15:08:05 -0400
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+davelovelace=gmail.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
May is just about here, so I put some new tunes up on the Kitchen Musician
website.  http://www.kitchenmusician.net

Since is is finally good enough weather to go golfing, there's the full theme
to Colonel Bogey's march.  (OR "Birdge on the River Kwai", or "Comet, It makes
your teeth turn green," or "Winners, warm up with Malt O Meal".  The story goes
that "Colonel Bogey" was inspired by a retired British army colonel who loved
to play golf, and who whistled instead of shouting "Fore".

And, though it doesn't really fit with any particular month, two India tunes…or
"Indo-Celtic", if you prefer, from the 19th century Indian composer, Muthuswami
Dikshitar.  Dikshitar was influenced by the tunes played by the British
military bands that he heard during his youth, and wrote a large number of
Sanskrit songs with melodies borrowed from those tunes.  Several of them  are
sung on the CD Vismaya, see http://www.kanniks.com/discography.  Sara Johnson
played hammered dulcimer on a number of them.  The two that I put up are:

"Shakti Sahita ganpatim", a two part 6/8 in D, with an A part that sounds a lot
like the French Canadian reel, "La Bastringue" or "Voulez vous dancer avec moi".

"Ramacandram Rajivaksham", a multi-parti marchy tune (in D again) that reminds
me of some Irish marches, but of none in particular.

So grab some golf clubs and a bowl of curry and try them out.

For those fans of Scottish fiddle tunes, especially those who play fiddle,
viola or cello, registration is still possible for the 30th Annual Jink and
Diddle School of Scottish Fiddling, Valle Crucis, North Carolina. Registration
closes June 30, though on-site rooms may fill up before then.  (There is a
campground and B&B's nearby.)  There are four different sessions with the first
starting on July 22 and the last ending on August 9.  I recommend Week 1, July
28 - August 4.  IT is a week of intensive immersion in Scottish fiddle music
and Scottish style, with three group classes a day (plus private lessons and
separate workshops, Scottish dancing and dance orchestra).  There are five
levels - self sorting.  Details on the website.

Maynard Johnson
http://www.kitchenmusician.net/jink/jink.html