Re: [HD] Another ailing dulcimer ... :-)

To: Hammered Dulcimers <hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Subject: Re: [HD] Another ailing dulcimer ... :-)
From: peter vernon quenter <crimsonbamboo@me.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 14:38:30 -0400
Cc: Hammered Dulcimers ListServ <Hdlist@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Sender: "Hdlist" <hdlist-bounces+davelovelace=gmail.com@hammered-dulcimers.org>
Hello Heli

wishing you luck for finding a simple and non-destructive reason/fix for your beloved -

I have a 17-some year old from Griffin that suffers from now three BIG cracks in bottom, first one from years ago in  old dry Ontario winter which I glued close; second one along bottom of pin block roughly screwed back together; and third one wide open....   yet, still sounding fine -
in the proceess I had to re-file a bit on the bridge-holes/tunnels because the soundboard had sunk a bit in places -
maybe to check in yours, as a possibility, if an internal support-brace might have given in a bit and caused the soundboard to warp a little and cause the strings to touch the bridge-tunnel ??    in which case possibly minimally sanding away in that location might provide a fix ???
I am not a woodworker or builder, so not to take this as anywhere close to professional recommendation, though -

best wishes