[HD] Baltimore Irish sessions and food (crabs!!)

To: hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com
Subject: [HD] Baltimore Irish sessions and food (crabs!!)
From: Kenkolodner@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 21:14:13 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
Since I live in Baltimore, I'll chime in about Irish sessions and  food!

Aside from some informal sessions, there are sessions every night of the
week.
There are A LOT of super players in the area. Most are high  level
sessions (generally Harvest Home, Morrison's Jig and The Road to
Lisdoonvarna are not going to make the cut!) but I believe the Monday night
session
is more intermediate and a bit slower. There was a monthly slow  session led
by a hammered dulcimer player south of Baltimore but I don;t know if  that
is still happening. Most of the local sessions will welcome a hammered
dulcimer (space permitting) but I'd recommend having a good working  repertoire
of sessions tunes or at least have suitable backup skills.

Here are the main Irish sessions:
J. Patrick's Irish Pub, 1371 Andre  St., Baltimore, MD
Mondays 8-10pm led by Donna Long (formerly of Cherish the  Ladies)
Tuesdays 9-12pm, led by Laura Byrne (flute) and Donna  Long
Thursdays 8:30-11:30pm, led by Peter Fitzgerald (tenor banjo)

And on Sunday from 5-8 p.m., at Ryan's Daughter, 600 East Belvedere Ave.,
Baltimore, MD
led by Laura Byrne and friends

And Liam Flynn's Ale House, 22 W. North Ave., Baltimore, MD
Wednesdays  7:30-10:30pm, First and third wednesdays led by Laura Byrne,
Jim Eagan and Matt  Mulqueen
/ Second and fourth wednesdays led by Dan Isaacson, Matt Mulqueen  and
friends.

There is also live Irish music at J. Patrick's every Friday and Saturday
night from 9pm - 1am.

Monthly Ceilis in Baltimore
Emerald Isle Club Ceili, American Legion,  Parkville, MD
First Saturdays - 7-11pm _www.emeraldisleclub.com_
(http://www.emeraldisleclub.com)

J. Patrick's Ceili, 1371 Andre St., Baltimore, MD
Second Sundays  4:30-8:30pm

I don't know about the Edgewater, but there is seafood everywhere in
Baltimore and
especially all varieties of crab: crab cakes, cream of crab  soup, MD crab
soup, crab fluffs,
pretzel crabs (wierd) and the main ticket --  steamed crabs. There are crab
houses all
over the city. It just depends where  you are and whether you want to go to
the more scenic and touristy type crab  houses (e.g. Bo Brooks, Nick's Fish
House at the harbor; you will pay more) or  the more local type places
(e.g. The Crack Pot; less pricey). You really can't  go wrong with any of them.
I would get a crab cake, crab soup and definitely  steamed crabs! If your
interest is ethnic, I can fill you in on the best Thai,  Indian,  etc...