Re: [HD] beginner seeking advice

To: hammered dulcimers <hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com>
Subject: Re: [HD] beginner seeking advice
From: Kate Ballard <kate.kb.ballard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 23:40:11 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=d+2mphEfYrHPnt7zvsRS8mRKbjpHIWFhrUMOuVU0JTc=; b=BTiB9ssCIcttNn0Ym8t8zcIKKGuLtgusVQPm3T2Btl+7nMD6NIdc76wpnqrh90i4VH nFur34m+dlY+Ki1I5hpgZDHYlp/e0IFOfFsrCOv5I+IvnoFEk2TlzDjfEt8ZxAasVUiF ieBFE8jHRSS3X+Tl14iW7fkB6ZSRttWGcHOZhLogzji4+g+NbjLSXj0bTRCyPAIOD3F4 x+HpeC3OQ64o9TquvDUDVMHuRZiy88XT1cKmFEtJAGuo4+H84rMqPPoDdmz3M8AccqkT gYLpQHC0SwCfRjksbGjllgG49OE+TShCcmWFw3X1zCfBxV5fYLCuUeicd3h69PGk7T5q gHwQ==
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
Dear Chris,

Stay away from the Grassroots instruments. I've seen them many times at
craft festivals. My experience with them is that the builders don't know
how to play the instruments, and I've never been able to get one to tune
properly. There are good, reputable builders out there who make affordable
beginner instruments that will not disappoint you. Some are: Rick Thumb,
Masterworks, Lee Spears, Dusty Strings, Rick Fogel at Whamdiddle, Chris
Foss at Songbird Dulcimers, Sam Rizzetta, and R.L. Tack. My first HD was a
Dusty Strings, and my current & forever dulcimer is a Masterworks. Start
with a solid beginner dulcimer, and start saving for your ideal instrument.
Go to builders' websites & educate yourself on the variety of instruments.
You'll learn a lot about what you want just by learning to play. Go to
festivals, if you can, and listen, listen, listen! Try different dulcimers
& ask questions! Players and builders are mostly very happy to answer
questions. My husband found a dulcimer he fell in love with in the sales
room at Evart by a builder we had never heard of, named Mike Huddleston.
Many in-the-know players have been very impressed by his instrument. Also,
you may find people trying to sell their dulcimers at festivals. Mostly
they want to trade up, so they'll be honest with you about the instrument
they're selling. Grab a HD workshop leader/player at the festival & ask
them to try the instrument (s) you're interested in. Best of luck, and
welcome to the community!

Kate B.