Re: [HD] beginner seeking advice

To: "hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com" <hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com>
Subject: Re: [HD] beginner seeking advice
From: "Foss, David L" <DFOSS@amfam.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 20:42:24 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
Hi Chris,
You're likely to get a variety of opinions, which is good.  If possible, in my
opinion the best thing you can do is go to a festival or gathering with a lot
of hammered dulcimer players, and ask to try their instruments.  This will give
you some idea about how different instruments from different builders sound,
and may help to refine your criteria for a new instrument.  Having said that,
however, here are links to a number of different builders/retailers that I
believe to be reputable.  They have a variety of HDs from inexpensive beginner
models to top-of-the-line.  There are undoubtedly others, this isn't meant to
be an exhaustive list.  Best of luck!

Dave Foss (in Madison, WI)

http://www.elderly.com/highlights/hammered_dulcimer.html

http://www.dustystrings.com/