[HD] beginner seeking advice

To: hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com
Subject: [HD] beginner seeking advice
From: Chris Baker <chris@bakers.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:26:38 -0500
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
My wife knew that I have wanted to play the hammered dulcimer for many
years and bought me an instrument and lessons a couple of years ago. Not
wanting to hurt her feelings, I took two lessons (over an hour away from
home) before I finally told her that a hammered dulcimer and a mountain
dulcimer were very different instruments! Fortunately, the shop was very
understanding and let us return it.

Now I have been looking again for a good instrument to start with. I found
one locally on Craigslist that is branded "Grassroots" but I haven't been
able to find much information about this instrument. Does anyone have any
suggestions for what I should be looking for, or reputable places that I
should look? I would like to get a decent instrument that I would not grow
out of too quickly. I ones that I have been looking at have been 17/16
models. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris