Re: [HD] travel dulcimers

To: hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com
Subject: Re: [HD] travel dulcimers
From: "ptommerup@juno.com" <ptommerup@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 22:55:07 GMT
Cc: ptommerup@juno.com
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
Hi Deborah,

Here are some makers and models of travel HD's you might like to consider. This
is not an exhaustive list; just ones I have bumped into and, for the most part,
have heard.

- James Jones "3/13/12 Travel Chromatic"
- Master Works "Soprano"
- Rick Fogel "Soprano"
- Sam Rizzetta "Mini"
- Dusty Strings "D-300"

I've heard the first three and play the last one.

The first two (Jones & Master Works) are a little bright and thin sounding to
my ears--I'm sure some other folks will have a different opinion. This is just
mine. They are also among the most affordable of this bunch. The ones I heard
were newish at the time, and so may have mellowed a bit with age and playing.

I have also heard Rick Fogel play his Soprano "back and forth" during the same
tune with his humongous and very powerful bass dulcimer. Sounds great this way,
and he really puts on a dazzling show (see videos on youtube for this). I
haven't really ever heard it all by itself. I tend to like HD's with mahogany
tops, as they seem a bit mellower and less bright than spruce, and I believe
Rick's has a mahogany top. On his web site, he mentions playing it on his lap
while flying in an airplane.

I haven't ever seen the Rizzetta "Mini," but I tend to love the sound of the
bigger Rizzetta HD's I've heard. Sam is also now making carbon fiber HD's, so
he might be up for making a mini out of this. That would make it very strong
and light--probably perfect for your purposes. Or, he might refer you to Nick
Blanton, who also makes some of his HD designs (as does Dusty Strings).

My favorite HD to cart around is the Dusty Strings D-300, though I have never
tried to fly with it. I like it's tone, it holds its tuning well, and it's
smaller than many 16/15 style HD's. It still has 3 chromatic octaves in the
usual range, but in a 9/13/12 configuration. The lowest 3 bass notes (d, e, f#)
are on the left bass bridge. This actually facilitates all kinds of interesting
multiple low flams, which I find more awkward to execute on a 16/15 style HD
(which I also have). This is the largest of the bunch, and while considerably
smaller and lighter than a large James Jones HD, it may be stretching a point
to call it a travel dulcimer for flying.

If you Google these makers, you can find more info on all of these instruments.

BTW, glad to hear of another HD player who's working on a PhD in Folklore
studies. I'm the only HD playing folklorist I've ever met.

Best,
Peter
Message: 1