Re: [HD] playing HD outdoors in rain or damp

To: "hammered dulcimers" <hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com>
Subject: Re: [HD] playing HD outdoors in rain or damp
From: linda@lindalowethompson.com
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:31:22 -0500 (CDT)
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
LLT:

I think the problem's going to be the band as a whole.

When I play outside, I strongly prefer being under some sort of roof
because I just won't put the instrument into direct rain.   Don't know
that I can't, but it's so totally counterintuitive to me that's the way it
is for me.

Now, as for the group: my instrument is so well-seasoned it might even
stay in tune with itself, at least for the most part.   But, it will have
swelled and gotten sharp and we will, most definitely, not be in tune with
each other.   They have a few strings each and we'll, all,  want them to
retune.

Is this a group that will retune to you?   When I was playing with a
fiddler, she'd ask "What's the A of the Day?"   It's not that I'm so
important.   It's just that the dulcimer's time it takes to tune is
prohibitive to retuning in the middle of a set.  So, you tune to me and we
can keep going.   You don't; we can't or, if we do, it's going to sound
horrid.

Good luck
Hope you have a great time
Linda