Re: [HD] playing HD outdoors in rain or damp

To: hammered dulcimers <hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com>
Subject: Re: [HD] playing HD outdoors in rain or damp
From: Dave Lovelace <davelovelace@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:16:50 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=KjSsWa3j7jU90cezt9F8SsdQ7mlszt6CURcU8y7+T0E=; b=koy2flZ3VA7r/yaYlsXYd5VCdSMysPtFlJl2P497GBTJtXQww6HqT0Dy31SONxNDHT rG04tzl5XdLy2Rd4n+e2Zu478bswqVTx3QT/9IZMt/Angx1Wjp95VytlA+3dijvLvNIl qTDayrmLF/t6vT880lE7aZ/3ijmcZwGETDsJ5YiKIBUQEdIpU0rpjERC2YoyyEYpW3Vr 7AeZHo+x2lTaBG2Q+jNFYSp/0bKCHlihiY0ugBuop1Ku8Ow+3IEqzbdniXvu0wRnTE0Q MVzqVDD1XUZq8oONYAFcLLl7+g4awv3q4RNBE9D+FHnbMET96DmOtsXvgQOPHSvMcPAD yF/Q==
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
Depending to what the strings are made of (stainless steel would kind
of make this a moot discussion, right?), one factor would be just how
humid this is, & some other factors.  Is it misty enough for water to
actually start condensing on the strings?  Is the shade protection
adequately waterproofed, or is rain on it going to generate water
misting down under it?  And is it large enough that a little breeze
won't blow rain under it?

But I'm with Ted that expansion of the wood due to humidity is the big
problem, given that we're talking about one specific day.  If there's
serious danger of actual liquid water landing on the instrument (see
previous paragraph), I'd surely think twice about playing; but tuning
issues can be a problem just with high humidity.

I'll add that in a festival, I've jammed in situations where it was
misty (humidity right at 100%, in other words), and also under a
pavilion that wasn't quite adequate to keep the water out.  (The side
screening was broadcasting misty droplets inward, I think.  We moved
inward & then eventually gave up.)  These were jams, & tuning problems
were something we were ready to live with, some anyway, under the
circumstances.  No noticeable permanent damage to the instrument on
brief exposure in the latter case, nor from several hours in the
former case.  But I suppose you could develop cracks, especially if
the change is pretty sudden.

No matter what, if the instrument actually gets wet, I'd suggest
getting it wiped dry ASAP--both strings & wood.

--
-- Dave Lovelace
   davelovelace at gmail dot com