Re: [HD] playing HD outdoors in rain or damp

To: hammered dulcimers <hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com>
Subject: Re: [HD] playing HD outdoors in rain or damp
From: Ted Yoder <91strings@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 17:47:24 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=2xemp9d3Asuq5AcYyJq2GOfT3TxdHkC7NvdjCAMsea8=; b=tuFWhxcNPliSFzmyO010JIMHKLyOhgT+hn59E8SoTSdPpax+oivkU0yUl3VTLa1gpq fEdrnMO3rBhCWozcYhMC6LXcMy/5RhKpCGbwN4PRHpGtLqKy+dx++5YV7GQnoX0iTRIg 4XtbOUYojSiAJ+ckjTVke4TaWSMwRJYkVoNJXWW/KHRQhjZ0I/yRHFgTjaS58UHY/gq4 //DI7Ocs/Mf2zBA9CLni53NbhVqNsjkzg68vgOjhoOZMgezHIMP+sqeWn4OBzFk+TLGB /LKnquvi+41qywxv4XVInIp1koC+5i8kQ4brKijQNBo16TF7dLsySZOsoJgzYqAlb8yv FY3A==
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
Hi Peter,

 I've played out side in the rain and yes, your tuning will be affected. I
would worry more about your wood getting too wet and not so much about your
strings. I had my D650 for 4 years and I played outside most of those years
on a regular basis. It was just this last January that I changed my full
set of stings on that thing. I'm no chemist so I can't say that the weather
didn't affect my strings but if it did, then it took four years of gigging
to do it. ;-) Even with what I said about the wood, it's all protected
except that little sound hole where water could get inside the HD where
it's not finished. And that would take a significant amount of concentrated
rain to get in there in any amount.

 Be careful if you start to re-tune one string at a time during your set
because sometimes that can just make it worse as more than likely the whole
HD will be going out fairly evenly. I usually find that it's my higher
notes that are affect quicker than the bass notes. There's not as much
tension on the lower notes I think.

 Good luck and don't worry too much. To compromise your strings, your HD
would have to sit outside for more than one gig. More likely 24hours or
something like that.

Ted Yoder
National Hammer Dulcimer Champion
www.TedYoder.com