Re: [HD] playing HD outdoors in rain or damp

To: hammered dulcimers <hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com>
Subject: Re: [HD] playing HD outdoors in rain or damp
From: Alf Bashore <noizmkr@evenlink.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 17:28:18 -0400
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
In inclement weather with lots of rain, or other high humidity conditions, you will have significant changes depending on how long you will be playing. And how long between sets.

I've played with HD playing friends and noticed that under those conditions you take your well tuned instrument out of it's case when you are ready to play. After about 20 to 30 minutes, if the humidity is real high you will have your changes. Everybody will be playing out of tune. Just strive on and explain to the understanding audience that should everybody retune, then by the time everybody was finished, then your set would be over and you all would still be out of tune. So just play until you cannot stand it.

If you are to be playing all day, do the best you can under the circumstances. If it is thunder and lightening, well, then, you know your set is over. You cannot play again until the thunder storm has safely passed.

If you get any tingling or buzzing or if the sound system shorts out, then again, you are finished.

Under any of those circumstances your band should be paid. Even if you don't play. If you are volunteering your music, it becomes a bit easier to bow out of performing at all.

I've been in those situations on both sides of the stage. As a performer and in the audience. And as a paid player and as a volunteer. I prefer to be on stage and get paid and be safe about it.

Hope this helps a little. I'm sure there are lots more comments coming from the Scuba Diving & Mermaid Hammered Dulcimer Club players out there.

In Harmony,
Alf

p.s. How does one get the Kicking Mule recordings that you and others made? Some of those recordings are my favorites.