Re: [HD] playing HD outdoors in rain or damp

To: hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com
Subject: Re: [HD] playing HD outdoors in rain or damp
From: "ptommerup@juno.com" <ptommerup@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:54:06 GMT
Cc: ptommerup@juno.com
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
Got a question about the advisability of playing one's HD outdoors in rainy
weather.

Obviously one would not want to play in a downpour under any circumstances, but
my band is playing at an outdoor gig this Saturday in the SF Bay Area, and rain
seems to be predicted. The other band members all play instruments with 4-6
strings (fiddle, banjo, guitar). They tend to be hardy souls who would probably
not be deterred by a bit of damp. I, OTH, DO NOT want to discover that the 68
strings on my Dusty Strings D-300 HD have been compromised by misty weather, I
understand we'll be playing under a shade structure, but that doesn't mean it's
completely dry under there if it drizzles or rains.

Anyway, just wondering at what point one would be prudent NOT to be playing
one's HD in inclement weather conditions.  I'm asking because I have a feeling
there will be some peer pressure to keep playing unless it gets really bad, and
I want to have some solid data on which to base any decision not to play my HD.

Thanks,
Peter