[HD] New Tune - Rhythm Twist

To: hammered dulcimers <hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com>
Subject: [HD] New Tune - Rhythm Twist
From: Maynard Johnson <roguecello440@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 17:22:58 -0400
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
I've put a new tune on the Kitchen Musician site.
http://www.kitchenmusician.net/

It's a fast E minor reel by Williamsburg VA fiddler, David Gardner, called "The
Mother-In-Law Reel.

The rhythmic twist is in the A part, where there are several bars of 8 quarter
notes played in the pattern of two groups of three followed by one group of
two.  If you counted eight beats to the bar, it would be 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2
- with the emphasis on the 1s.  IF you count these things as "one and two
and….", then the strong beats come on 1, the "and" following "two" and on 4.
Normally, the emphasis would be on beats 1 and 3, but the shifted emphasis kind
of pushes the tune along.  Like leading the beat on count 3 by a full half beat.

We just got back from a week in Williamsburg VA, and played with David Gardner
two nights at Chowning's Tav urn in Colonial Williamsburg.  The last tune on
the last night was Mother In Law, with David on Fiddle and me on cello backup,
at a considerably faster tempo than I put up on the Kitchen Musician site.

Maynard Johnson
Kitchen Musician Website
http://www.kitchenmusician.net/
Jink and Diddle School of Scottish Fiddling
http://www.kitchenmusician.net/jink/jink.html