Re: [HD] Beatles tunes

To: hammered dulcimers <hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com>
Subject: Re: [HD] Beatles tunes
From: George Polkowski <gpolkowski@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 22:26:14 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1293085574; bh=WkVsZLOluOdyqSwR3VXahhhWvi3P7yPzl8gRAtwucJI=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=t1+yQBzQpouNbFlDgAS+nrKEMW54UXgyA4WE4AuVHj9gJJAAda5NWnRIzNZh3Jblk5/yZir+xhIoEAz9Z76f8Cu6oVUSEP2kGq7YrHRB/HKebykuiCSZp+aqvVr2OP6ZkXHQPbTjkhGXKph4/L+k6vPHgnR93nk/yt2CItbya3I=
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
I don't play a conventional hammered dulcimer but a German hackbrett which is
linear chromatic so the matter of keys doesn't really concern me (what's a
dulcimer friendly key, I wouldn't know) and changing key on my instrument is
trivial, just go up or down one or more sets of strings and/or play on the
opposite side of the instrument.  I believe all songs have no flats or sharps
and have at the most three.  Probably the key has most to do with keeping the
guitar chords simple.  (I well know that some arrangements in some piano books
are irritating, having up to 6 sharps or flats.)  These books should be readily
available in many music stores, so just take a look at them.  They're easy to
spot because they are paperback size, which I also find convenient when storing
as the titles are easily seen unlike the common thinner music books.  What I do
find amazing is how some songs that I thought would sound excellent on my
instrument don't, and how others I never really cared for can sound excellent
and are enjoyable to play.  (I guess it's whether the melody is the song or
whether it is embellishments by a large number of other instruments or
voices.)
For a very small investment, there are numerous enjoyable songs in any book.

George Polkowski
Stuttgart, Germany