Re: [HD] Evart 2008

To: hammered dulcimers <hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com>
Subject: Re: [HD] Evart 2008
From: Paul Goelz <pgoelz@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:04:16 -0400
Sender: hammered_dulcimers-bounces+hdlist=bobcatos.com@lists.fmp.com
At 02:07 PM 7/22/2008, you wrote:
>  It would be interesting if anyone has any more
>observations on how the festival has changed over the years.
>
>Paul Gifford

Hmmmm..... for me, the focus has always been on playing music.  For
that reason, I find the vendors and workshops are nibbling away at
the places where we can play music.  Currently, this is not a problem
at all before the festival begins and after the workshops close in
the evenings.  The buildings have improved HUGELY over the years,
thanks to Herb and the fair board folks.  But during the day after
the festival officially begins, the jams tend to dry up for lack of
places to play.  No, it isn't as bad as it was before the ODPC
pavilion was built.  And yes, there are a few places to play during
the day.  But there seems to be a constant pressure to bump the
musicians out of favorite jamming spots.

So I wonder how possible it would be to put all the vendors in the
new arena building and let the musicians have 4H and the "vendor
pavilion" back.  The arena would seem to be ideal fr vendors... it is
huge, air conditioned, has bathroom facilities and can be secured
after vendor hours are over.  ??  As for the dance, howsabout putting
it back in 4H..... and coating the floor with the same stuff that was
used in the arena building?  That would eliminate the dust that gave
some people fits.

Other than that, I have enjoyed every Evart for all of the 33 years I
have been there.  They are all different from each other in some way,
but they are all fun.  And I learn something each time I go, event
though I don't "take" workshops.  I only wish more of the "old
timers" would try coming back..... you can take from the festival
what you like and discard what you don't.  The "old festival" is still there.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI
paul at pgoelz dot com