Re: Omnidirectional Microphone

To: hammered_dulcimers@lists.fmp.com
Subject: Re: Omnidirectional Microphone
From: KitchieBoy@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:44:19 EST
In a message in the digest dated 12/9/02 11:51:30 PM, Aquiver@aol.com writes:

> I would like to ask suggestions from anyone on purchasing an
> omnidirectional
> mike for the purpose of amplifying an acoustic band for a live
> performance.
>
> The band consists of fiddle, whistle, flute, bodrhan, guitar, uliean pipe,
> and hammered dulcimer. We borrowed a mike like this once and it seemed to
> do
> a good job for this ensemble.   Basically we are looking for a reasonable
> sound system solution to use at a variety of venues; outside, bar, etc.
>
> I priced some at a guitar store, there a variety available from $200-$500,
> and some for much more.   Is there much difference between a $200 and $500
> mike?   Any specific suggestions for what anyone does for an ensemble like
> this would be great.   Or is individual miking always preferable?

If you are going to be playing in that many venues, I'd go for cardioid
mikes, not omnis.   The pickup pattern is forward and somewhat to the sides
of the windscreen; and they reject sounds from behind (So you pickup and
amplify less crowd noise).   An omni can be nice in a quiet venue, such as
overhead on an acoustically good auditorium stage.

The AKG C1000s that Cliff Fellows recommended are cardioids; mine have an
adapter to tighten the pattern.   I've also got some EV ND47s - cardioid
dynamic mics (no "phantom power" or batteries)

When we were playing with a band that large, we used individual microphones -
including a small Shure wireless mic mounted on the fiddle.   That way we
could use the mixer board to balance the instruments as they would be heard
by the audience.   The venues you listed have different levels of ambient
noise, and different potential for feedback, so you will need as much control
as you can get without breaking your wallet, and without breaking your back
carrying speakers.

A cheap sound level meter, like those at Radio Shack, is also a good
investment so you don't break eardrums.

Maynard Johnson
Kitchen Musician WWW Site
http://members.aol.com/kitchiegal/
Jink and Diddle School of Scottish Fiddle
http://members.aol.com/kitchenboy/jink/jink.html/